Natixis Asset Management announces the creation of Mirova, a management company
In order to accelerate the development of its responsible investment activities, Natixis Asset Management announces the creation of the management company Mirova1. It is Mirova’s ambition to become an international leader in Responsible Investment within the next five years.
A new approach to responsible investment
Mirova's philosophy is based on the conviction that understanding major demographic, economic, societal trends and taking into account environmental and social impacts not only offers a better appreciation of risks, but also makes it possible to identify investment opportunities in a changing world. By bringing together experts committed to responsible investment who benefit from more than 25 years of expertise, Mirova develops a global approach that spans all asset classes – listed equities, bonds, investments in infrastructure, impact investing – and relies on its powerful research capacity and engagement with companies. Mirova's approach meets the expectations of institutional investors looking for solutions that create value over the long term while integrating sustainable development issues. It also responds to the desire for meaning, proximity and simplicity expressed by savers, whether they invest via banking networks or within the scope of their employee savings plans.
A year crowned with success
Launched just over one year ago, the Mirova investment division focuses constantly on innovation:
• Creation of “Impact ES”: the first employee savings SICAV dedicated to SRI2 and certified by CIES3, in partnership with Natixis Interépargne4
• Launch of “Mirova Funds”5: one of the only SICAVs with sub-funds in Europe dedicated exclusively to responsible investment6
• Publication of the first in-depth analytical study resulting from Mirova’s research partnership with Cambridge University
• Development of an innovative methodology for analysing the environmental and social impact of infrastructure projects, in partnership with BeCitizen7
A conviction-driven investment approach for international development
Effective 1 January 2014, the Mirova investment division is a wholly owned subsidiary of Natixis Asset Management. Philippe Zaouati is the Chief Executive Officer of Mirova. Pascal Voisin, Chief Executive Officer of Natixis Asset Management, is the Chairman of Mirova's Board of Directors. The creation of this subsidiary aims to strengthen the independence of Mirova's management team and to accelerate its international development as part of Natixis Global Asset Management's multi-affiliates model.
“Mirova has great ambitions. We want to strengthen our position as a committed and innovative player in the vanguard of responsible investment, theme-driven investment management and infrastructure projects on an international scale.” explains Philippe Zaouati, Chief Executive Officer of Mirova.
(1) Consolidation of the activities of Natixis Asset Management’s investment division, Mirova, into the subsidiary Mirova Environment and Infrastructure (2) Socially Responsible Investment (3) Inter-trade union committee for employee savings (4) Natixis Interépargne - French Société anonyme with a share capital of €8,890,784, registered with the Paris Trade and Companies Register (RCS) under no. B 692 012 669. (5) Mirova Funds is a Luxembourg SICAV registered on the CSSF since 15 September 2009 (6) Lipper Feri FMI – FundFiles – Universe of funds marketed in 31 European countries – figures as at 31 August 2013. (7) BeCitizen is a strategic consultancy firm leader in the creation of products, business models and profitable financial vehicles that contribute positively to society and the environment.
Mirova, the Responsible Investment subsidiary of Natixis Asset Management, develops an engaged approach aiming to combine value creation and sustainable development. Mirova’s philosophy is based on the conviction that integrating sustainable development themes can generate solutions that create value for investors over the long term, not only thanks to a better appreciation of risks, but also by identifying favourable investment opportunities in a changing world. Mirova offers a global responsible investing approach: equities, bonds, infrastructure, Impact investing,(1) voting and engagement. The second-largest European manager of open-ended SRI funds(2) and N°1 in Impact investing in France(3) and in Europe(2), Mirova has €3.4bn in AuM and €23.6bn in voting and engagement. Mirova brings together 43 multi-disciplinary experts, specialists in thematic investment management, engineers, financial and ESG(4) analysts, specialists and experts in socially conscious finance and project financing. Mirova’s fund range is distributed by Natixis Global Asset Management’s global distribution platform and is designed for all types of investors, both professional and non-professional.
Source: Natixis Asset Management as at 30/09/2013. (1) Impact investing: investments with a strong social and environmental impact. (2) Source: Feri Lipper - 04/2013. (3) Baromètre Finansol 2012. Impact Investing: of which €55 million invested directly in solidarity organisations. (4) ESG: Environmental, Social/Societal and Governance. References to classifications, awards and/or ratings are not an indicator of future performances by the funds/UCITS and/or fund manager.
With assets under management of €292.5 billion and 682 employees, Natixis Asset Management ranks among the leading European asset managers. Natixis Asset Management offers its clients (institutional investors, companies, private banks, retail banks and other distribution networks) tailored, innovative and efficient solutions organised into 6 investment divisions: Fixed income, European equities, Investment and client solutions, Structured and volatility developed by Seeyond,1 Global emerging, and Responsible investing developed by Mirova2
Source: Natixis Asset Management – September 30, 2013. (1) Seeyond is a brand of Natixis Asset Management. (2) Mirova is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Natixis Asset Management.
Natixis Global Asset Management, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Natixis, comprises management and distribution firms based in Europe, the United States and Asia. Assets under management totaled more than €619.3 billion worldwide. It employed more than 3,200 staff.
Source : Natixis Global Asset Management - September 30, 2013