Pierre Valentin elected Chairman of the Groupe BPCE Supervisory Board
In its meeting today, the BPCE Supervisory Board elected Pierre Valentin as Chairman of the Groupe BPCE Supervisory Board, in addition to his functions as Chairman of the Steering and Supervisory Board of Caisse d’Epargne Languedoc Roussillon and as a replacement for Michel Grass.
In addition, Thierry Cahn, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Banque Populaire Alsace Lorraine Champagne, was elected Vice-Chairman of the Groupe BPCE Supervisory Board. The Supervisory Board thanked Michel Grass warmly for his engagement in service of the general interest and hailed his outstanding contribution to the Group and all its companies during his term of office as Supervisory Board Chairman. The Groupe BPCE Management Board remains unchanged, the terms of office of the members running until May 2023. The Groupe BPCE Supervisory Board comprises 19 members, elected for a period of six years.
In addition to the Chairman Pierre Valentin, the six other members representing the Caisses d’Epargne are:
Chairs of Caisses d’Epargne Steering and Supervisory Boards:
- Catherine Amin-Garde – Caisse d’Epargne Loire Drôme Ardèche
- Dominique Goursolle-Nouhaud – Caisse d’Epargne Aquitaine Poitou Charentes
- Françoise Lemalle – Caisse d’Epargne Côte d’Azur
- Nicolas Plantrou – Caisse d’Epargne Normandie
Chairs of Caisses d’Epargne Management Boards:
- Alain Denizot – Caisse d’Epargne Rhône-Alpes
- Didier Patault – Caisse d’Epargne Ile de France
In addition to the Vice-Chairman Thierry Cahn, the six other members representing the Banques Populaires are:
Chairs of Banques Populaires Boards of Directors:
- Catherine Mallet - Banque Populaire Occitane
- Gérard Bellemon – Banque Populaire Val de France
- Bernard Dupouy - Banque Populaire Aquitaine Centre Atlantique
- Michel Grass - Banque Populaire Bourgogne Franche-Comté
Chief Executive Officers of Banques Populaires:
- Olivier Klein - BRED Banque Populaire
- Yves Gevin - Banque Populaire Rives de Paris
The three independent members appointed on the proposal of the Nominations Committee, are:
- Valérie Pancrazi, Chairwoman, Vap Conseils
- Anne-Claude Pont, Executive Chairwoman, Wilov
- Kadidja Sinz, Director Europe, Liberty Specialty Markets
The two employee representatives, designated by representative union organizations at group level, are:
- Vincent Gontier, CFDT
- Frédéric Hassaine, CFE-CGC
The following persons also participate as non-voting members:
- Sylvie Garcelon, Chief Executive Officer, CASDEN Banque Populaire
- Daniel Karyotis, Chief Executive Officer, Banque Populaire Auvergne Rhône Alpes
- Pierre Carli – Chairman of the Management Board, Caisse d’Epargne Midi-Pyrénées
- Joël Chassard - Chairman of the Management Board, Caisse d’Epargne CEPAC
- André Joffre, Chairman, Fédération Nationale des Banques Populaires (FNBP)
- Jean Arondel, Chairman, Fédération Nationale des Caisses d’Epargne (FNCE)
Pierre Valentin, Chairman of the Groupe BPCE Supervisory Board says: “I am delighted to become Chairman of the Supervisory Board and contribute to the Group’s exciting development ambitions under the impetus of a renewed managerial team. I am also confident in the Group’s ability to overcome the current regulatory, commercial and digital challenges. Lastly, I shall oversee respect for the cooperative values of our regional banks as the Group seeks to achieve its future growth objectives.”
Profile of Pierre Valentin
After completing his studies in law and insurance (bachelor’s degree in private law and master’s degree in insurance from the Institut des Assurances d’Aix-Marseille), Pierre Valentin began his career with Mutuelle d’Assurances du Bâtiment et des Travaux Publics in Lyon in 1978. He then branched out into entrepreneurship, creating Valentin Immobilier in 1979.
Shortly after, Pierre Valentin began his longstanding engagement with the Caisse d’Epargne network, in the role of advisory board member of Caisse d’Epargne d’Alès in 1984. He then became advisory board member of Caisse d’Epargne Languedoc-Roussillon in 1991 and was appointed Chairman of a local savings company belonging to the bank in 2000. He has been a member of the Steering and Supervisory Board of Caisse d’Epargne Languedoc-Roussillon since 2000, and chaired its Audit Committee between 2003 and 2006. In 2006, he was appointed Chairman of the Steering and Supervisory Board of Caisse d’Epargne Languedoc-Roussillon, and was re-elected to this function in 2009 and 2015.
Since 2008, Pierre Valentin has been a member of the Board of Directors of FNCE (Fédération Nationale des Caisses d’Epargne), and has played an active role in the Group’s governance. In addition, he served as Board member, Audit Committee Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Banque Palatine between 2008 and 2013, then as Board member of the listed company Natixis between 2013 and 2015.
BPCE Supervisory Board member since 2009, Audit and Risk Committee member between 2013 and 2015, Pierre Valentin was also Chairman of the BPCE Supervisory Board between May 2015 and May 2017.